Mission and Values
To be a center of academic excellence in innovative business and economics undergraduate and graduate education and research, acknowledged by the College, the public, prospective students, and employers for the quality of its instruction, for the intellectual contribution of its faculty, and for the skills and knowledge of its graduates.
The Department of Business and Economics at Utica College prepares students for professional careers in business, government, not-for-profit management, public accounting, and education.
Our undergraduate curriculum is characterized by:
- a strong foundation in the liberal arts, which strengthens writing, speaking, analytical, and interpersonal skills;
- an integrated approach that stresses the mutual interaction of the functional areas of business, and the continuous presence of issues related to ethics, to leadership, to technological change, and to the necessity of a global perspective;
- an emphasis on entry-level knowledge, experiential learning, and the development of research skills needed to solve complex problems.
Our graduate curriculum is:
- built upon an existing strong foundation in the liberal arts, and extends students' skills in writing, analysis, and working with teams:
- characterized by an integrated approach that stresses the mutual interaction of the functional areas of business, and the continuous presence of issues related to ethics, to leadership, to technological change, and to the necessity of a global perspective;
- focused upon building advanced entry-level knowledge through experiential learning, and the development of research skills needed to solve complex problems.
These goals are reinforced and enhanced by the commitment of the faculty to engage in research that enhances the theoretical and practical dimensions of business and economics practice and pedagogy.
Utica College graduates are prepared to assume responsible roles both in their chosen careers and as civic leaders.
While drawing students from all over the United States and many other countries, the Department, along with the College, affirms its historic focus on the Central New York region.
We affirm and are guided by the values of Utica College as a community of scholars. We are dedicated to the promotion of freedom of expression and to diversity in perspective, background, and experience.
We aspire to:
- Excellence in teaching, in research, and in the quality of faculty-student interaction
- Excellence in the acquisition, development, and dissemination of knowledge
- The highest standards of ethics and integrity, and commitment to principles of social responsibility
- The development of graduates who are leaders in their fields and who are prepared to assume the responsibilities of active citizenship.